The Pigeon Pose is one of the most important poses in yoga. It is also a very difficult pose and it is done in different variations. This pose has a lot of benefits for the practitioner as it can offer better strength, flexibility, and muscle stretching. It is also known as the hip opener pose. It helps open the lower back area near the hips and joints. This can help lower back pains and other serious issues with the human body. Below is complete detail and guide about the pigeon pose.
Pigeon pose which is also known as the Kapotasana is one of the most important yoga poses. It is the pose that is known as the hip opener pose because it impacts the lower back area of the hips. Not only this, but it also impacts the structure and flexibility of your back muscles and backbone as well. This pose is done in multiple ways. Each way affects the same parts of your body in slightly different ways.
This effect is very important as it can provide you more flexibility in your back. Apart from flexibility, it can also provide you with strength as well. It has its origins in the 1900s and 2000s. It was used by the different practitioners who preached its benefits to the world. This pose is not a separate form of yoga practice. It is just a pose in Ashtanga yoga. It is practiced in three different variations that are popular.
How To Do Pigeon Poses Correctly?
Here is how you can do the Pigeon pose correctly.
- You should start by doing some other poses to warm up your muscles and body. After a few minutes of warm-up, you should be ready to dive into the pose.
- You should start by going into the downward-facing dog pose. This pose can be altered into the pigeon pose. After going into this pose, you can simply bend your knee upwards and make it touch your body from the front side.
- You should repeat the same process with different knees. For example, if you first did the pose with the right knee, in the next you should use the right knee. While doing so, make sure that your other leg is spread fully and your knee is not bending. Also, you should make sure that you are comfortable with the pose and your hands are in the right position.
- Now, it is time to move further. You should square your legs towards the front of the mat on which you are practicing. You should use padding if you need support from the right side. But if you are okay without the support, you should move further into the pigeon pose.
- Now, it is time to bend your forward torso and bend over your right leg. Make sure you are comfortable with the pose so far. After that, you can start to adjust your body slightly to be more comfortable.
- Now is the time for bringing balance between your hips in the square position. You can use a blanket or block under yourself to make it more comfortable.
- Once you have reached the pose, you should keep yourself in a tight position and make sure that you are breathing properly.
- To get out of the pose, you should slowly and smoothly release all the parts of your body. After that, you should come back to your normal position. Now, you can repeat the entire process with the other leg as well.
Common Mistakes to Avoid:
As you know that the Pigeon pose is very long and it can be tricky if you are practicing it for the first time. There are a few mistakes that you should look for and rectify to be in the pose better and get better results as well. The most common mistake that people make while doing the Pigeon pose is that they rotate their legs. Rotation of your legs during the pose is not a very good idea. This is because your legs are aligned according to the pose.
Getting them out of the pose and rotating them can lead to pose failure and you will not be able to do the pose properly. Another common mistake people make is that their hips are not square enough to be in the pose in the right way. These mistakes will keep arriving but regular practice can help you master this pose as well.
In the article above, we discussed what the pigeon pose is and how to do it. Apart from this, we also learn about the mistakes that people make while they are practicing the pigeon pose. You should be careful during this time. You should learn it and then practice it with care.