Telemedicine has taken the global medical sector by storm and for the right reasons. Read on to know more.
Telemedicine was looked at as if it was science fiction even a few years back; but not anymore. The pandemic compelled people from all over the world to embrace telemedicine in a very short time. This post will shed light on a few but compelling benefits of virtual doctor appointments.
Even a few years back, it was thought that telemedicine is a reality that is still far away but as soon as the pandemic hit, it was evident that shunning telemedicine will be nothing short of wishful thinking.
Sure, early on, everyone, all over the globe, has had a hard time doing everything online and that includes online doctor visits but soon, the benefits of telemedicine were apparent.
In this context, some of those benefits are enunciated in the sections that follow –
- Telemedicine enabled healthcare workers and organizations to expand their operations and render more personalised services.
- A virtual doctor appointment is no more just a lagging video and high latency audio. Thanks to continuous improvements in both hardware and software, even the ones who are a bit behind when it comes to technical expertise, can use telemedicine to meet their needs.
- Both doctors and their patients can get in touch with one another irrespective of their location or the time zone to which they belong to.
- Back in the day, during doctor visitations, patients were accompanied by their family members and this was and always will be a necessity. The reason is simple – a family member can help fill in the gaps about the medical history of the patient in case the patient fails to shed light about critical aspects of his or her health. This is not possible right now due to pandemic restrictions and travel bans but thanks to impressive features made available in present-day telemedicine apps, one can simply loop in their family connections during a virtual doctor appointment thereby providing the doctor with the information he or she is looking for.
- Thanks to telemedicine apps, it has become easy for doctors to offer their patients with primary care as well as management for chronic medical conditions. The situation has become more seamless for doctors who practice family medicine, pediatrics and internal medicine.
- Telemedicine put an end to waiting times and queues for good as if a doctor or a medical practitioner is unavailable to take an appointment then the patient will be redirected to the one that is available at that point in time.
- Since the patient does not need to leave the confines of his or her home, it has become pretty easy for the same to keep away from infected individuals, while they are on their way to the doctor. On the flip side, in case the patient who is on his or her way to the doctor is infected with COVID – 19, can keep others from becoming another victim of the disease by remaining within the confines of their home.
- Telemedicine offers the doctor with all the necessary pointers that allow the same to better assess the malady a patient is diagnosed with. How? Well, in case a patient is suffering a severe case of allergies, then the doctor can take one look at the home environment of the patient and figure out that the patient’s home might be the reason behind the malady. Maybe the patient’s cat is the reason why he or she is suffering from an allergy or maybe the home is having a bad case of mould infestation. Who knows!?
- Social distancing is the need of the hour. As mentioned earlier, when a patient chooses to stay at home and book a doctor’s appointment using a telemedicine app, he or she is not only keeping away from the crowds but also, from forming queues at their preferred hospital. This leads to pressure reduction on the healthcare sector as well as on the healthcare workers. This is a win-win situation which is one of the many reasons why telemedicine is here to stay.
- With the pressure of endless queues gone, healthcare service providers can now give their patients undivided attention using online consultations. This leads to an increase in the quality of the healthcare services rendered thus allowing the patients to get well before they know it. It also allows a doctor to improve his or her reputation among the patients by many folds.
- Since online consultations do not involve any intermediaries, the consultations can take place and conclude in no time. This saves both the patient and the doctor a lot of time thus allowing the healthcare worker to serve more patients in a short time all the while maintaining the quality and standard of the services they are supposed to render.
It is easy to state after sifting through the above sections that online doctor appointments are here to stay and for the right reasons. For more convincing information, the reader is advised to use a telemedicine app today!